Benefits of Exercise
Most of us know regular exercise is good for our bodies. But did you know it's also good for your mind? And that it can help you to sleep better and even quit smoking? It's true; exercise provides many valuable rewards.
Below are some of the wide-ranging benefits of regular exercise. Whether you need encouragement to begin exercising or incentives to keep up with your regimen, there's something in this list for everyone.
Keep in mind that exercise doesn't need to be strenuous to be effective; studies show even moderate physical activity is helpful. It doesn't have to be every day, either. Even just 15 - 20 minutes a day, a few times a week can result in health benefits.
If you can't workout on a regular basis, find ways to work physical activity into your day - park your car farther away from your destination, take the stairs instead of the elevator, play outside with your kids, etc. Every little bit adds up to help improve your health and well-being.
Even if you've never exercised before, don't let that stop you; research proves it's never too late to enjoy the benefits of regular physical activity.
Exercise benefits everyone in many ways, so get moving and reap all the rewards it has to offer.
- Improves your overall health
- Makes you feel good
- Improves your quality of life
- Enhances your appearance
- Improves your skin tone
Mental Health and Well-Being
- Boosts your intellectual capacity
- Helps you manage stress more effectively
- Alleviates depression
- Reduces your level of anxiety
- Helps you sleep better
- Boosts your self-esteem and confidence
- Helps relieve and prevent migraine headaches
- Bolsters efforts to quit smoking
- Helps reverse some of the effects of smoking
- Boosts your energy level
- Builds your muscular strength and endurance
- Increases your stamina and ability to do continuous work
- Improves your balance and coordination
- Improves your flexibility
- Provides protection against injury
- Helps you lose weight and prevent weight gain
- Elevates your metabolism so you burn more calories every day
- Lowers incidence of obesity
- Strengthens your heart and lowers your heart rate
- Reduces your risk of heart diseas
- Decreases your blood pressure
- Lessens your risk of stroke
- Boosts your immune system
- Improves control of blood sugar
- Increases HDL (good) cholesterol and lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol
- Strengthens your circulatory system and lungs
- Reduces the risk of developing all kinds of diseases, including colon cancer, breast cancer, type II diabetes (adult onset diabetes), lung disease, etc.
- Helps bolster pain tolerance
- Reduces backaches
- Makes pregnancy and childbirth easier
Aging and Longevity
- Slows the aging process
- Adds active years to your life
- Reduces your risk of fractures and osteoporosis
- Helps you maintain an independent lifestyle
Posted in Fitness Tips
Ask the Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.
click here to log in